5 Reasons for Democrats to vote on Tuesday:
1. To continue to clean up the mess….The Democrats did not create the problems that we are experiencing now. Remember George Bush? Remember that just a few years ago, BEFORE Obama was elected, the economy was on the brink of utter and complete collapse? Remember the mega job losses that occurred BEFORE Obama took the Oath of Office in January 2008? Clearly there is some memory loss here, both long and short term. In spite of themselves, the Democrats have certainly held us from the edge of the abyss. The economy is actually beginning to stabilize. Deregulation and lack of oversight got us here. Now is not the time to pull back and start the fall all over again, which leads us to the next reason….
2. To have Patience….. Problems cannot be solved overnight. Regulating the wild west of Wall Street, the housing market, and profit-oriented health care takes time. The benefits will take a while to be felt by all those involved. Dismantling regulation which has yet to fully manifest is an exercise in insanity.
3. To see the Big Picture…We need to understand the big picture of allowing those who will only stymie progress into Congress. I thought we had already come to grips with “Just say NO.” We have to say “yes,” even if our party’s representatives may not be perfect. This is an election that will dictate the direction and flavor of legislation for the next two years. We need to move forward, not backward.
4. To demonstrate responsibility for our citizenship…”We the people.” Yes, we are accountable as citizens of this country. It is not “We, 30% of the people,” but ALL of us. All of our voices need to be heard. This government will not work as a democracy if only the few speak up with their vote. The few do not speak for the rest of us.
5. To rise above Money…. Money can’t buy elections, right? RIGHT???!!! OK, the Tea Party has been uber-funded by the Koch brothers and Rupert Murdoch. And the recent Supreme Court ruling in Citizens United vs. the Federal Election Commission hasn’t helped the situation any. But don’t let your vote be sold. Prove the integrity of the system and cast your ballot.
As Rachel Maddow said the other night, “The distance between Democrats winning versus Democrats losing on Tuesday is the distance between your ‘tuchus’ on the couch if you’re going to vote for Democrats and your ‘tuchus’ actually making it to the voting booth on Tuesday if you’re going to vote for Democrats. That’s the distance.”
Listen to Maddow’s show here: